Our mission is to collaborate to create and sustain quality affordable housing options that support people to have better, healthier, and more satisfying lives. Our vision is that all community members have access to safe, healthy, and affordable homes.
In a variety of housing program types, SHA provides long-term, low-income rental housing and rental assistance to approximately 14,000 people, representing more than 6,200 households, in Spokane, Lincoln, Stevens, Pend Oreille, Whitman, and Ferry counties. SHA owns and operates more than 850 apartments at 11 sites throughout Spokane County.
Additionally, SHA administers more than 5,200 Housing Choice Vouchers, enabling low-income tenants to receive rental assistance with other landlords in the region. Nearly 80 percent of those we serve are households with children, elderly or disabled.
OUR CORE BELIEFS
- Home is where the “start” is. We believe a home is not just built on a foundation; it is the foundation that supports every other opportunity for people to have better healthier, and more satisfying lives.
- People first. We believe compassion for others and passion for helping them improve their lives moves us to do the right things in the right ways to meet our clients’ greatest needs and support their greatest opportunities.
- Whatever it takes. We believe exceptional service means doing more than required and being better than expected at all we do to support clients and the health of our community.
- Better Together. We believe people and situations are unique and complex, so we must effectively plan, collaborate and communicate with community partners to support our clients.
- Integrity Matters. We believe respect, trust, accountability and transparency are essential to make our mission possible, our team strong, and SHA a great place to work.
- Stewardship starts with us. We believe we have been entrusted to protect important community resources, and commit to the careful and responsible management of those resources in every decision we make.
SHA is an independent public corporation. The majority of SHA’s funding is federal, through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Other income includes rent revenue and non-HUD public and private grants.
SPOKANE HOUSING AUTHORITY LEADERSHIP
Board of Commissioners
Spokane Housing Authority (SHA) is looking for dedicated volunteers to serve on its Board of Commissioners. SHA is a local entity created by state enabling legislation under RCW 35.82, develops, promotes, and maintains affordable housing options in Spokane, Ferry, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, and Whitman counties. For more information, please see the full announcement here.
SHA is led by a seven-person Board of Commissioners. Under state housing authority law, housing authority Commissioners are appointed by local legislative bodies. Two of SHA’s Commissioners are appointed by Spokane County Commissioners, two by the Mayor of the City of Spokane, with confirmation by the Spokane City Council, and two by the Mayor of the City of Spokane Valley, with confirmation from the City of Spokane Valley City Council. One position is a client of our services and is appointed by all SHA commissioners.
SHA’s current board consists of the following Commissioners:
SHA AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
- NAHRO – Community Health Advocate
- NAHRO – Referral Voucher Award
- Best Places to Work Inland Northwest (2017, 2019, 2020)