Agnes Kehoe Place, located in Northeast Spokane, offers 1-2 bedroom apartments. The 51-apartment building includes a secure entry, community room, resident storage, outdoor patio, computer lab, select loft-style units and a few fully accessible units.
Originally built in 1907 by the Hillyard School District, Agnes Kehoe Place was once the site of Hillyard High School. The last Hillyard high school class graduated in 1931 and then during World War II, the buildings were converted to the Martindale Apartments.
In 2010, the Martindale was converted to affordable housing by the Martindale Apartments Limited Partnership, using Low-Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) and Historic Tax Credits (HTC). This $12.3 million acquisition/rehabilitation project was made possible thanks to the sponsors of the project, which include: the Spokane Housing Authority, equity investor US Bancorp Community Development Corporation, Washington State Housing Trust Fund, Washington State Housing Finance Commission, and the City of Spokane. Construction financing provided by U.S. Bank National Association with initial acquisition and pre-development funding provided by Washington Trust Bank and Impact Capital.
Incomes are restricted to households at or below 50% of the area median income. Rents are also restricted by LIHTC rent limits and the project will remain affordable until at least 2053.