SHA offers the following rental assistance programs:
Public Housing are HUD-subsidized apartment units and properties with rental assistance that is 'attached' to the unit. Rent paid by the tenant is based on the income of the household.
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher
- Tenant Based
Housing Choice Voucher (known as HCV, voucher program, or Section 8)
This is a 'portable' voucher which can be used with any property that meets HUD Housing Quality Standards. After the initial 12 month lease, the tenant may be able move to another location. For information on the current status of the waiting list, click here to visit the waiting list status page.
Rent paid by the client is based on household income.
Pre-applications will be placed on the waiting list by time and date of receipt of the pre-application and preference. Applicants without a preference will be placed at the bottom of the waiting list according the date of receipt of the application. Preferences are:
- 1. A family whose head, cohead, spouse,
or sole member is a person with disabilities; two or more
persons with disabilities living together; or one or more
persons with disabilities living with one or more live-in aides.
2. A family whose head, cohead, spouse, or sole member is a person who is at least 62 years of age; two or more persons who are at least 62 years of age living together; or one or more persons who are at least 62 years of age living with one or more live-in aides.
3. Applicant families with dependent children. Preferences will be verified and must be valid when an applicant reaches the top of the waiting list.
These vouchers are assigned to specific addresses. If a tenant chooses to move, the assistance remains at that specific address. Rent paid by the client is based on household income. Project Based Voucher waiting lists are specific to the properties where the vouchers are assigned. The following properties currently have Project Based Vouchers:
- Agnes Kehoe Place
- Market Street
- Casa Salvadas
- Sharon Lord
- Walnut Corners
- Bel Franklin
- Pearl on Adams
- Elm Street
- North Hill
- Newark Apartments
Referral Vouchers (list coming soon!)
SHA has partnered with the following community agencies to provide vouchers through a referral program:
- Catholic Charities
- DSHS ALTSA
- Frontier Behavioral Health
- Northeast Community Center
- Spokane County Supportive Living
- Volunteers of America (VOA)
- World Relief
Tenant Based Section 8
The Waiting List for the Homeownership program is currently closed. After at least 12 months of assistance with a tenant based voucher, qualified households may be eligible to use their voucher to assist with mortgage payments. Rent paid by the client is based on household income.